Wednesday, October 7, 2009

MAY WE BE OUR BEST DREAMS AND NOT OUR WORST NIGHTMARES

(These One A Days are added to each new day. Scrolls down and read previous One A Days.)

When I had a rural pastorate in my mid-twenties, I would sometimes drive much too fast on those lonely country roads. I once skidded off a wet highway, through an open fence gate and came to a halt, upright and unharmed, some 200 feet into a hayfield. The Lord takes care of fools and preachers and often I was more the fool. Be that as it may, there were times I did not speed along those dusty or muddy non-paved country roads. There were times when I would pull over and gaze at hazy mountain beauty far in the distance. Quietly sit and let my soul inherit the special peace that can come from contemplation of God and His wonders to behold.

And a far better philosopher than me felt the same way when he, Socrates, one day was speaking to a friend who was also a philosopher. “I hear Acheus had a very unhappy trip to Athens.” “Yes,” came back the reply, “He had no choice. He had to take himself along on the trip.”

The world is full of people who are earth-bound with ostrich wings when the wings of an eagle lay folded in their hearts.

We deposit many things in our hearts and all of them are not good. But the Bible puts it perfectly, “Keep thy heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life.” (Proverbs 4:23) If we would have the abundant life on a more regular basis, then we must care more about God’s opinion of us than public opinion.

“Be still and know that I am God.”

Have you visited my “Life Is Not What It Is But What You Make It” site. Go to Google and where it says “Google Search” type in “Wyrick’s Writings”

Have you considered sharing this site with family or friends? Just have them go to Google Search and type in “Neil Spiritual Vitamins”.

And, yes, maybe they will back track a few weeks to read other of my musings

No comments:

Post a Comment