Wednesday, August 23, 2017

HAPPINESS AND OUR LIFE LONG QUEST FOR IT


IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND THIS BLOG TO A FRIEND GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG AND CLICK ON THE ENVELOPE.

There are over 600 stories and commentaries on this blog. It is added to daily.

Visit Neil’s other blog Wyrick’s Writings
Click below to go to the blog
 


We all seek happiness without consciously realizing it often is to be found in simple things.
A boy and his dog; the transforming love of a young man and woman; a glass of cool, clear water; a bird’s song; a baby’s smile.

A long time ago I read a poem that perhaps puts things in a better perspective.  I’ve repeated it from pulpits and sometimes just to myself to do the inside of my head and heart good.
 
Suppose that people had to pay
To see the crimson sunset play
Or the magic stars of the Milky Way.

Suppose it was fifty cents a night
to see the great moon’s saffron light
Or watch a gull in its graceful flight.

How much, I wonder would it be worth,
To smell the good, brown, fragrant earth
In spring?  The miracle of birth.
For a baby’s laugh at the close of day?
Suppose God charges us for them, I say!

Suppose God charged us for the rain
Or put a purchase price on a song-bird’s strain
Of music, the dawn, the mist on the plain.

How much would an autumn landscape cost,
Or a window etched with winter’s frost,
And the rainbow’s glory so quickly lost?

How much do you think people would pay
For the cry of a child at the close of a day.
Suppose God charged us for them, I say!

Suppose we paid to look at the hills,
For the rippling sound of the mountain rills.
Or the mating song of the whippoorwills.
Or curving breakers of the sea,
For grace, and beauty, and majesty?

And for all these things he gives us free
may we give thanks on bended knee.


A  Quote FROM Rev. Wyrick’s 9TH BOOK “THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN”

Why concern ourselves with spirituality as against the equivalent of a political science degree? 

What real difference does it make that Christianity needs to be up front and center in the lives of our leaders?  Because the very freedoms and style of living we enjoy come as gifts from Christianity. 

Before Christ walked this earth and set up a new standard of humanity, life in the Greco-Roman world was cheap and expendable.  Killing of infants was readily accepted.  Child abandonment was commonplace. 

 Abortions and suicides were widespread and legal.  Its corrupt belief system became the mother of chaos.  It is, therefore, little wonder Rome fell. 

And America can fall just as easily if it forgets that religion can survive without freedom, but freedom cannot long survive without religion.

THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN
“A book superior in style and content)
Purchase from the author an autographed copy.
If you would like a short PERSONALIZED comment before the signature such as “To Mary”…or “happy birthday Mark” …or “Hope you enjoy reading this”…just enclose your wish along with a check for $10 (free shipping and handling) to:
Pageantry Inc., The Church Without Walls”
 
7430 SW 59th Street
Miami, Florida 33143
 
 
QUOTES FROM
SIXTY PLUS AND NOT HOLDING
 
(Serialization of One of Neil’s book that can be found on his other blog Wyrick’s Writings)

I almost drowned once. It is a terrifying experience. One gets very used to breathing. I had taught swimming in summer camp. Passed the Red Cross Life Saving course. Water-skied 50 miles an hour. Now I found I could not even stand to have the water flow over my face when I took a shower. 

So I had two choices. Give in to my fear or fight it.

I fought it. Stuck my head in a few inches of water in a basin for five seconds, then ten and finally a minute. I kept working on my private demon until one day, six month later, I was behind a ski boat with ski rope in hand. I was filled with panic, not just fear. I skied anyway. I fell and did not drown. I began to overcome the anxiety.

I refused to have a love affair with fear that could have become a permanent downer. Did I completely conquer my fear? No. Was I better off than if I had given in? Definitely.

----- ------ ---------- A number of years ago two scientists conducted an experiment with a sheep. They tied a piece of wire around the leg of a normal sheep in the midst of other sheep. Then at regular intervals they would send an electric shock through the wire making the leg twitch. The sheep’s behavior remained normal. He ate well, slept well, acted quite nicely, twitching appendage and all. Then the scientists added another factor.

They began to ring a bell ten seconds before they administered the shock. Within a very short period of time the sheep began to demonstrate all the symptoms of severe anxiety neurosis. His eating habits went from bad to worse. He couldn't sleep. He took to avoiding the other sheep. He became highly nervous and agitated.

It is the same with all the people who every day promise themselves it is going to be a bad day, and then work very hard at making their prophecy come true.

Click below to go to the blog
 

Christianity by Reflex…new series began
Wyrick’S Writings on Thursday July 28..and will continue each Thursday until finished.
 
CLICK BELOW TO GO TO NEIL’S OTHER BLOG
 

 
Some recent topic titles on his other blog, Wyrick’s Writings are:ONE LOG ON A FIRE, TWO JOLLY GREEN GIANTS; LOVE AND FORGIVENESS, WISDOM IS.WHAT IS HAPPY,60 PLUS AND NOT HOLDING

CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING URL
 
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

No comments:

Post a Comment