Friday, December 23, 2016

GOOD THOUGHTS OR GOOD EXCUSES?

***********************************
If you would like to share
this blog with a friend copy
paste and send this blog by email


or keep this URL


http://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins.blogspot.com

IN YOUR FAVORITES
and suggest they do the same


They are changed daily.

***********************************

In John Bunyan’s immortal book “Pilgrim’s Progress” Ignorance, walking by the side of the elderly Pilgrim has this to say, “My heart is good as any man’s heart…as to my thoughts, I take no notice of them.”
 
And then, Francis Bacon, another of my favorite authors answers this inane statement exactly as it should be answered, “Tell me what the young people are thinking, and I’ll tell you the outlook for the next generation.”
 
It has been a long time since I have seen snow work its magic.
 
Covering the beautiful and the ugly until the eye cannot tell the difference.
But still…the difference is there.

 
So it is with you and me.
 
And we need to make what lies beneath the snow or the excuses or the personal cover-ups subject to a spiritual improvement program.
 
And grow better rather than grow better excuses.

 
For sometimes when we try to excuse ourselves we are actually accusing ourselves.


Or as the old Yiddish proverb goes, “When you don’t want to do something, one excuse is as good as another.
A man the other day said to me, “Why do I make excuses?”
 
And he answered his own question, “Because it is easier than changing.”
 
And then I replied, “If you make an excuse for stepping on my toes I will most likely excuse you but it will not stop my toes from hurting.”
 
So…the call to all of us is…make a life…improve our thoughts…pray persistent prayers that take foolish excuses and send them not so merrily on their way.
************************************

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path.” Proverbs 3:5-6
*************************************

BELOW IS A QUOTE FROM TOMORROWS one a day entitled WHAT WORDS HAVE YOU BEEN WEARING RECENTLY?
 
“Aesop, the ancient storyteller, told this fable: Once upon a time, a donkey walking aalong a trail found a lion's skin hanging from a tree.
 
He tried it on, strutted around, and found it frightened many animals.
Soon a fox came along, and the donkey tried to scare him, too.

 
But the fox, hearing the donkey's voice, said, "If you want to terrify me, you'll have to disguise your bray."
 
Aesop's moral: Clothes may disguise a fool, but his words will give him away.”
*************************************
One a Day Your Spiritual Vitamins URL click below
http://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins.blogspot.com/


*************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment