Tuesday, September 8, 2009

NOT FOR SALE

(These thoughts are added to each new day)

The man knew what he wanted and did not hesitate to ask. Indeed, his question, made such an impression on the preacher and the entire church staff, that it left them shaking their heads. Afterwards, all could have repeated his request, almost word for word.

Soon after entering the office door, he blandly stated, “I want to buy three dollars worth of God, please. Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough to equal a warm cup of milk or a snooze in the sunshine.

I don’t want enough of Him to make me love the homeless, or pick strawberries or cut sugar cane or whatever crop with migrant workers. I want ecstasy, not transformation.

I want the warmth of the womb, not the challenge of a new birth. I want a pound of the eternal in a paper sack. This is a church so I can only believe you have it for sale. And could you make it quick? I only have thirty minutes, so can we get to it, I’m on my lunch break you know. (Rewrite of piece by Dr. Ronald W. Scates)

Somewhere along the line the poor, confused gentleman had missed the point that God’s love and forgiveness are not for sale, ever. That there is no dollar or influence limitation on His loving presence and power. That a donation of dollars will buy you nothing if you have not accepted the sacrificial price Christ paid for your sins and mine. That when it comes to what we owe, it narrows down to a matter of faith.

The Psalmist put it this way, “…as the deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.”

That’s something more than just a theological statement. That’s an overpowering need. That’s saying, “With you, God, I am everything. Without you I am nothing.”

Have you considered sharing this site with family and friends? Just have them go to google and type in “Neil Spiritual Vitamins”

Have you visited my “Life Is Not What It Is But What You Make It” site. Go to Google and where it says “Google Search” type in “Wyrick’s Writings”
A yes, hope you will make visiting this site a daily habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment