Sunday, September 6, 2009

LEARN NOT TO ALWAYS LEAN

(These One A Days are added to each day)

He sat before me – a forty-year-old who
looked sixty. He began to share, “I’ve been downsized. I was a top salesman and now I can’t sell a dollar bill for 50 cents. I’ve never been so miserable in my whole life.”

And as we talked, I found out his father had died when he was only seven. I learned how a loving mother had shielded him the rest of his childhood and adolescent years from all pain and hardship.

He told me that he had never been allowed to play any violent sport - “Mother was afraid I’d get hurt.” And as we talked he began to understand why he was filled with such grief and self-pity. He began to realize he had spent a lifetime expecting to be cared for - by his mother, by his family and later by his business.

Even expecting to being taken care of totally, completely by his God, without ever doing very much to help himself.

Before he left my office we read together Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

This scripture that he had heard many times now shouted at his senses and he got the message. Daily he now repeats it and he always pauses over the first five words - I can do all things…. He has finally learned that having first knelt in prayer, he must also stand on his own two feet.

Thanks for sharing this site with family and friends.

Have you visited my “Life Is Not What It Is But What You Make It” site. Go to Google and where it says “Google Search” type in “Wyrick’s Writings”

Check back a number of days and catch up on your spiritual vitamins and then make this a daily habit. There are so many inspiring stories about so many inspiring people waiting for the opportunity to impact on your attitude toward life.

No comments:

Post a Comment