Monday, August 10, 2009

DON'T BE A STUMBLING BLOCK

Sitting on a busy sidewalk in New York City was a blind man with a lantern burning brightly. When asked why he simply replied, “I don’t want people to stumble over me.” As a Christian, if you ever use GD or Jesus Christ as a curse, and I hope you don’t, but if you ever do, do people stumble over you on the way to increasing their faith, because at least for that moment, you have let your light go out?

The third verse of the 6th chapter of Isaiah reads, “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” It does not read, “Holy, holy, holy, are the men who so easily profane the Lord Almighty.”

In Ecclesiastes 5:2 there is the admonition, “Be not rash with thy mouth, …” When I was growing up in Virginia we had a phrase for those who were on-goingly profane, we called them “trash mouth.” Trash God? I don’t think so.

As you may have noted I am starting each devotional these days with a story and then briefly making a point. Tomorrows story is about a man named Telemachus.

No comments:

Post a Comment