Monday, June 5, 2017

SIXTY PLUS AND NOT HOLDING


(These thoughts were placed also on my Wyhrick's Writings blog.  This is the first time I have done this but I just wanted to make sure these thoughts had a doubled chance to enter your memory bank). 
 
 A senior citizen was driving down the freeway  and his cell phone rang.  As he put it to his ear he heard the frantic voice of his wife on the other end.

"Charles, where are you?  What highway are you driving on?"

"I'm on Interstate 195."

"Be careful Charles," it's all over the news.  Some car is driving in the wrong direction."

"I know that dear.  In fact, it is worse than that.  There are hundreds of them."

We all have been absent minded but hopefully it will never come to this.

How do you feel about old?  You certainly have an opinion because you've already achieved it or have parents who are already their.

Thiking about it and planning to make it better certainly makes sense...a lot more sense than ignoring it.

So let's hop aboard the train of PROPER ATTITUDE and see what landscapes we can come upon. 

Hold tight to the following scripture.  It's a good companion for the trip...that's for sure.
Psalm 92 and verse 12.  “The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon planted in the house of the Lord.  They will flourish in the courts of our God.  They will still bear fruit in old age and they will stay fresh and green.”

Stay fresh.  Grow green.  Sunshine thoughts and bright fresh prayers to greet each new day.   Fower beds instead of ash heaps.

Are  old are you?    As old as the dreams you still pursue or the dreams you have let shrivel and die.

I just broke my hip and I'm already planning my next trip to Disney World in January.

I look at the scoreboard and not a calenedar when I get all excited about a football game or a golf match.  I plan on reading number of good books I haven't read amd my age of 82 won't keep me from enjoying them just as much as did enjoy reading 30 years ago.

You've got extra time. Then put in some extra prayers; for friends and family and church and pastor and church leaders.  There really is a special electricity to prayer when you overdo rather than underdo.

There is a condition I call premature OLDNESS.  The social security card register 55 but the individual has already been ancient for a number of years.  Instead of looking for a groove to revel in they settle for a rut to shrivel in.  They have no hobbies but growing tired, tired and tireder.  The idea of taking a walk after dinner is an anathema to them.  They haven't read a good book or listened to some music or found something to get excited about for years.  And so they are like the tombstone that says the person who lies there died at eighty wherein the truth is they died spiritually and emotionally 30 years before that... even theough they continued horozontal and vertical movement.

And then there are those whose skin may wrinkle more each day...but not their souls...those glorious folk of which I know many who lift my spirit by their attitudes...by their relating what they just got through accomplishing and what they are going to do more of.

When it comes to attitude I think one of my favorite stories is of the little old lady in the nursing home celebraing her 90th birthday and a reporter asking, "Do you have any children?'

And she with a great big smile on her face answering "Not yet!"

Isaiah 46, verse 4 it says,  “Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you.”

To Watch Neil in one of his famous One Man Dramas, NBC Television speakers, Award Winning Films....click on the URL below
http://www.speakerneil.com/

To visit his other blog Wyrick's Writings (Serializations of his books, posted best of his sermons and thought pieces...
 
Click on the following URL



IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND THIS BLOG TO A FRIEND GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG AND CLICK ON THE ENVELOPE.

There are over 600 stories and commentaries on this blog. It is added to daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment