Friday, June 23, 2017

IS ENVY AN OLD FRIEND OR A BEATEN ENEMY


IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND THIS BLOG TO A FRIEND GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG AND CLICK ON THE ENVELOPE.

There are over 600 stories and commentaries on this blog. It is added to daily.
 
“A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.” (Proverbs 14:30)

We have all learned the best unlearned art of envy and painted some pretty terrible pictures under its direction and thats for sure.

And when we have done so we have been the fool trying to wear a crown when it was actually a dunce cap.

There was a farm not far from where I had one of my first pastorates and on this farm they had a donkey; and one day it got me to thinking about the donkey that carried Jesus into Jerusalem and whether or not he may have been envious about all the crowd praising Jesus.  “After all,” he may have thought, “I am the one carrying him.  I certainly deserve some praise.”

And I looked down at the Bible on the corner of my desk and I thought of all the examples of envy just beneath its cover.  Cain and Abel and envy causing a murder.  With Christ and the Chief Priest and envy causing a crucifixion.

And in the midst of the sadness my thinking caused I began to give thanks for two solutions for solving the sickness of envy.

Keep your mouth shut Neil.  I learned that the hard way and I am still learning but it is true.  Don’t put other people down as a way of lifting myself up.

And, yes, get to know the person I may have some envy toward, better. 

Train myself to admire a trait or talent they have that I don’t rather make myself ill because I don’t have them.

Envy really isn’t one of my problems and it may well not be one of yours…but envy is a hoverer…hovering and hovering and hovering just waiting for its chance.

And I looked at the corner of the table and put my hand on the Bible and held it there for it also taught to me love my neighbor as myself, which after all is a pretty good antidote for envy…now isn’t it.

TO VISIT Neil’s other blog WYRICK’S WRITING (A variety of serializations; a novel, a 2nd book Sixty Plus and not Holding (How to get by in life with a host of plusses no matter what your age) on Sunday and Tuesday and Thursday varying subjects) (3 times a week added to)

Some recent topic titles are:ONE LOG ON A FIRE, TWO JOLLY GREEN GIANTS; LOVE AND FORGIVENESS, WISDOM IS
 
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING URL
 

****************************
To view his One Man Dramas on film (see by millions, live and on film and on video)(Martin Luther, Ben Franklin, Charles Wesley, Abraham Lincoln)

 
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING
 


********************************

No comments:

Post a Comment