Saturday, June 24, 2017

DON'T LET GREED AND PRIDE MANAGE YOUR MONEY


Matthew 6:19-21, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

I early learned that if I didn’t allow God to help me manage my money it would manage me.  In short, like many or most, greed has sometimes been my guide and financial common sense has suffered along the way.
And certainly two of the eneies he constantly warns me of are greed and pride of wealth.

So I carry around with me a wrinkled and worn piece of paper that has some lessons that have been my friend for a long while and perhaps some of them these ideas will become your friends too.

Have a two pronged goal when it comes to earning money.  Do not seek poverty.  There is nothing spiritual about being poor.  But do seek generosity.

Do not chose to be a slave to money which is what any of us do when we consistently spend more than we make.  I found it interesting to read that credit card companies will let me borrow 250% more than I can possibly pay back.  And why not?  It is to their interest to place me under the bondage of interest.

Save but don’t hoard.  And while managing my money I constantly remind myself that it is really God’s money.

Don’t go to the financial page first thing in the morning.  Miss a day or two, both me and my small investments will survive. I make a point of not being obsessed with checking and over checking.

Don’t marry my job.  I have one wife and if I am so consumed with having there is little time left to give her any of it, then I am to with having.  If even on vacation I have to call back to the office or am pursuing another get rich quick scheme then I am in serious trouble.  (I’m semi retired now but this was a good reminder when I wasn’t)

There is a prayer I pray often, “Lord, save me perpetual dissatisfaction.  It can only lead me to be my own worst enemy.”

TO VISIT Neil’s other blog WYRICK’S WRITING (A variety of serializations; a novel, a 2nd book Sixty Plus and not Holding (How to get by in life with a host of plusses no matter what your age) on Sunday and Tuesday and Thursday varying subjects) (3 times a week added to)

Some recent topic titles are:ONE LOG ON A FIRE, TWO JOLLY GREEN GIANTS; LOVE AND FORGIVENESS, WISDOM IS
 
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING URL
 

****************************
To view his One Man Dramas on film (see by millions, live and on film and on video)(Martin Luther, Ben Franklin, Charles Wesley, Abraham Lincoln)

 
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING
 


********************************

No comments:

Post a Comment