Saturday, May 16, 2015

WHAT IS A GOOD PARENT

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND THIS BLOG TO A FRIEND COPY THE FOLLOWING URL 
 
           
       There are over 900 stories and commentaries on this blog. It is added to daily. 
 
       To visit Neil's other blog Wyrick's Writings click on the following.  Just click on the URL below
 
Two little boys were walking home from Sunday School and the first little boy said,”What do you think of this Devil business our teacher was talking about this morning?”

“Oh,” came back the reply, “it’s like Santa Claus. It’s either your mom or your dad.”
 
Humor has a way of putting an edge to truth...
 
I worked with Youth in our Presbytery until I was 45.
I think it helped me as Senior pastor at Palmetto Presbyterian because you can learn so much from what they are saying and how they are reacting to this world in which they have not been for that long a time.

For yes, I can still remember more than one young person when speaking of their parents who said, “I don’t respect them.” “They don’t treat me fairly and I’m not saying I don’t do some things wrong and more than I should but if they are in a bad mood, no matter what I do I find I’m in trouble.: I can’t wait to grow up so I can leave.”

I heard many young people praise their parents as well. “Mom loves me and shows it. She listens to my opinions and even though she doesn’t always agree with them I know she has listened.”

 
“Dad is busy but never too busy to give more time than I sometimes know he really can’t afford to give.“I’m so proud of my parents.”
 
What makes a good parent?
 
A husband who loves his wife and shows it. And the son seeing it is learning and is more apt to become the same.

A wife who loves her husband and shows it.

A good parent does less correcting and more connecting.

A good parent is firm but flexible enough to listen. 
 
A good parent is more concerned with building their child’s self esteem than a new addition to the house. 
 
And then there is the priceless quote from a Hodding Carter, JrThere are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings.”
 

      We welcome you to put some of these thoughts in your personal newsletter or on your churches newsletter or your blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment