Sunday, January 22, 2017

LIGHTEN UP, REJOICE AND BE GLAD

************************************
If you would like to share
this blog with a friend copy
paste and send this blog by email


or keep this URL


http://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins.blogspot.com

IN YOUR FAVORITES
and suggest they do the same


They are changed daily.
************************************

Fifty four years ago, at age sixteen to be exact, I decided to become a minister. Do you know what almost stopped me from following through on that decision?


Some of the ministers I knew who acted as if having fun was a sin. That telling a joke was frivolous. That looking super somber was the way to go. That you couldn’t be a Christian and look like you were enjoying it.
 
I don’t find that attitude as often these days, but ere now and then I still see it in some preachers. In some officers. In some lay people. And when I do, I seldom say it but I always think it, “Lighten up a little. Have you forgotten the admonition to make a joyful noise unto the Lord?

I’m in good company as I always remind myself that it was the Apostle Paul himself who said, “Rejoice, and again I say, rejoice.” And since we Christians pay a great deal of attention to what Paul has to say on other matters I figure we shouldn’t exclude his comments on daily delight.

Even our Jesus said, “Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”


Nowhere in the Bible does it say, “Blessed are they who frown and fuss.” Nowhere does it say that it is necessary to mentally flagellate yourself until your spiritual bones ache and you have a love affair with misery.


I truly believe that Christ dances with joy when a prodigal come flying home. I take to heart his promise, “Come unto me and I will give you peace.”

I wouldn’t mind finding my name written on a Reader’s Digest Sweepstakes but I love it when I read in the book of Luke, “Rejoice because your name(s) are(is) written in heaven.”

You know, if I were not a Christian and I met some Christians, I am not sure I would choose to be one, because they have forgotten what the star surrounded angels sang on Jesus birth night, “I bring you good news of great joy.” They certainly didn’t sing, “We bring you terrible news and constant complaints that will make your bed a bed of sorrow.”
Finding and keeping a sense of humor isn’t always easy.


There are bosses who indeed seem to have come straight from hell. And people curse at us on the highway.


And everyone has down days when they’re tired of livin’ and scared of dyin’ but I’ve always believed that if I stared at a star and let it give me its message I’d be well on my way toward being a good humor man.


What message?


All around it is darkness but it never notices. It’s too busy making light.
*******************************************

Quote from tomorrow’s One A Day blog entitled HOW TO HANDLE GRIEF RATHER THAN LETTING IT HANDLE YOU


“…prod yourself with the warmth of otherness; make friends and forgive enemies while forgiving what you should never have let yourself be bothered by in the first place. Print the word FORGIVE across all the avenues of your mind. Anger and grief are a deadly mixture.

Watch a funny movie. Read a funny book. Laugh at a funny cartoon. It is a prescription from the book of Proverbs, “The cheerful heart is good medicine.” (Proverbs 17:22)

A series on PRAYER began on WYRICK’S WRITINGS ON Sunday Nov 21st (4 WEEK SERIES/EACH SUNDAY) CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING URL below TO ACCESS WYRICK’S WRITINGS

http://wyrickswritings.blogspot.com/


A QUOTE FROM THE PRAYER SERIES on Wyrick’s Writings

“When you prayed, first did you listen? Some people take the scripture that reads “Speak Lord, for thy servant heareth” and rewrite it to read, “Listen Lord, thy servant speaketh.” (1 Samuel 3:10)


Could what you prayed for be considered a Christian prayer? Remember …if you end your prayer with the words “In Jesus name” you certainly want to have prayed a prayer he would approve.

Was it a prayer you really wanted to be answered, something you really wanted to take place, an improvement in your person you were really committed to following through on. A half hearted prayer is a wasted opportunity.”

*****************************************

DO YOU HAVE A BLOG OR FACEBOOK? IF YOU ENJOY THESE WRITINGS COULD YOU CALL ATTENTION TO THIS BLOG? IF YOU DO, THANKS IN ADVANCE

**************************************

TO WATCH NEIL WYRICK IN HIS ONE MAN DRAMAS (Presented to millions all around the world) (Ben Franiklin, Martin Luther, Charles Wesley and Abraham Lincoln (this Lincoln film takes 11 seconds to download but hopefully you will think it was worth the wait)
click on the following


http://www.speakerneil.com/
***************************************

V. Neil Wyrick’s ninth book is THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN and is now available on amazon.com at some rather good discount prices (Also, available for your Kindle)

*************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment