Friday, March 4, 2016

ONE LINERS FOR THE SOUL & NEW ONE A DAY

ONE LINERS FOR YOUR SOUL

       THIS IS A NEW ADDITION TO the ONE A DAY YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS blog

       Take this seed of a thought and turn it into a wisdom tree.
 

HOT, HOT AND HOTTER

Be so on fire for your faith it turns into steam.  It will then filter through and around all obstacles to its application and not suffer from the perils of the lukewarm.

         BEWARE OF THE LAW OF CONVENIENCE (Continuing the Series of Oopisms)

These thoughts are added to each day. Scroll down
(Use in your personal or church newsletters) (365 stories a year)

(Have you considered sharing this site with a friend?)


To view my other blog Wyricks’ Writings 
 
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING URL
http://wyrickswritings.blogspot.com/
When my daughter, Joy, was still a child, she had a playmate who was always changing the rules of whatever games they were playing. And she always changed the rules to her advantage so, of course, she always won. She’s a grown woman today, and I imagine she’s still doing the same.

Oopsism people do that. Oops,
they think, I don’t like the way this is working out so I think I’ll change the rules. Moral rules. Financial rules. Political rules. Any rules. That way, the person doesn’t have to change, the rules have been changed instead.

If there is a cure for Oopsism it is taking God seriously.

It is not casually thinking after an accident or an incident, well, there’s nothing I can do about it. And besides it wasn’t my fault. Fate is against me…. My fellowman is against me…. My human nature is against me. . . People just don’t understand me.

No, if there is a cure for Oopsism it is seeking God with the same intensity that the unbeliever denies Him.

It is certainly not committing the ultimate sin of indifference. It is rather letting Christ make a difference.

It is admitting with heart, mind and soul that Christianity needs moral giants, not pigmies who squirm a little and then go on their merry way.

A governor named Felix once said to the Apostle Paul, “When I have a convenient season I will call for thee.”

But it never was convenient to call for Paul. It never was convenient to learn more about Christ and then put Christ’s teaching into practice. “Oops,” said Felix, “I meant to do something about it, but I never got around to it.”

The devil loves that kind of response. When human beings use the excuse that something was inconvenient and that’s why they didn’t do it, the devil literally dances a jig. Indeed, more good deeds and noble ideas have died on the vine because of this one excuse than almost any other reason that can be named.

It is inconvenient to care.

It is inconvenient to accept blame.

It is inconvenient to have to do something about something.

Saying oops is easier and often much more convenient. And “Oops! I made a boo boo,” really doesn’t sound nearly as bad as, “I just committed a sin.”

What if Joseph of Arimathea had not gone to Pontius Pilate and begged the body of Jesus – because of the inconvenience. And instead had later said, “Oops, there I go again with my procrastination.”

What if Paul had not gone out on his missionary journey because of the inconvenience and had instead later said, “Oops there I go again with my lack of resolve.”

What if Jesus, with all of His humanity side showing, had stayed in Nazareth instead of moving out to preach and had later said, “Oops, there I go again ignoring God’s will.”

Remember the Priest and the Levite who passed by the wounded man because, after all, it was inconvenient to stop and help him?

I always tell new Christians that if they are looking for a convenient faith, then look somewhere else besides Christianity.

There is nothing convenient about a faith that tells us to love our enemies, to control our anger, to give our money, to practice humility and perform the inconvenient.

God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but a spirit of power and love and self
-control. 2 Timothy 1:7 (NCV)
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING URL http://wyrickswritings.blogspot.com/

to go to Rev. Wyrick's other blog

Wyrick's Writings

        Check out Neil's 3 still available books on amazon.com

       THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN, RUST ON MY SOUL & BEN FRANKLIN'S ALMANACK FOR THE 20TH CENTURY

No comments:

Post a Comment