Tuesday, August 19, 2014

THE OOPS FACTOR (No 5)


IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND THIS BLOG TO A FRIEND GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG AND CLICK ON THE ENVELOPE.

There are over 600 stories and commentaries on this blog. It is added to daily.


John L. Swigert, Jr., the Apollo 13 astronaut who went to the moon in 1970, recalls how his job almost interfered with filing his federal income-tax forms:

"On the second day of Apollo 13, April 12, I asked Mission Control to begin work to get me an extension of the filing date for my income tax. Since I had been a last-minute substitution on the Apollo 13 flight, things had moved so fast that I didn't have a chance to file my return."

The IRS didn't have to make a special ruling to grant Swigert a two-month extension because of his I'm-on-my-way-to-the-moon excuse, though. There was already a regulation that provided an automatic extension for anyone out of the country. 

Oops. . .  and each time it is said without anything really being done about it, that person becomes more and more a mental, spiritual, emotional or physical blob.

Why then does anyone ever say it? 

The answer takes us back to square one again.  Because it is so convenient to just say it and then forget it, whatever it is.  It’s so much easier to say, “Oops, Lord, forgive me,” than it is to honestly seek to do something about what caused the Oops.

How we handle the Oops in our lives is what Christianity is all about, because Christianity believes that life is a sacrament.  It believes that you are God’s and not the other way around.  It does not preach Take it easy.  It preaches Let God take you.

Would you be transformed by the renewing of your mind, rather than renewing of your excuses?  Then pray about it.  There’s nothing new about the suggestion.  But there is something old, and powerful and true about it. 


Or, as Dr. William Sadler, a world famous psychiatrist, used to say, “I will accept no man as a patient who does not believe in God.”  He went on to explain that it was impossible to straighten a man out who believed only in Self.

To get ones act together requires prayerful, persistent, consistent action.

 It requires that one accept that praying is dangerous business and that jumping in with both feet can cause unbelievable changes to take place. 

It requires that when you pray you believe what you are saying, because if you don’t how can you expect God to believe you?


QUOTES FROM SIXTY PLUS AND
 NOT HOLDING
 
(Serialization of One of Neil’s book that can be found on his other blog Wyrick’s Writings)

I almost drowned once. It is a terrifying experience. One gets very used to breathing. I had taught swimming in summer camp. Passed the Red Cross Life Saving course. Water-skied 50 miles an hour. Now I found I could not even stand to have the water flow over my face when I took a shower. 

So I had two choices. Give in to my fear or fight it.

I fought it. Stuck my head in a few inches of water in a basin for five seconds, then ten and finally a minute. I kept working on my private demon until one day, six month later, I was behind a ski boat with ski rope in hand. I was filled with panic, not just fear. I skied anyway. I fell and did not drown. I began to overcome the anxiety.

I refused to have a love affair with fear that could have become a permanent downer. Did I completely conquer my fear? No. Was I better off than if I had given in? Definitely.

----- ------ ---------- A number of years ago two scientists conducted an experiment with a sheep. They tied a piece of wire around the leg of a normal sheep in the midst of other sheep. Then at regular intervals they would send an electric shock through the wire making the leg twitch. The sheep’s behavior remained normal. He ate well, slept well, acted quite nicely, twitching appendage and all. Then the scientists added another factor.

They began to ring a bell ten seconds before they administered the shock. Within a very short period of time the sheep began to demonstrate all the symptoms of severe anxiety neurosis. His eating habits went from bad to worse. He couldn't sleep. He took to avoiding the other sheep. He became highly nervous and agitated.

It is the same with all the people who every day promise themselves it is going to be a bad day, and then work very hard at making their prophecy come true.

 
Click below to go to the blog


 
Christianity by Refex…new series began
Wyrick’S Writings..and will continue each WEEK until finished.
 
CLICK BELOW TO GO TO NEIL’S OTHER BLOG
 

 
Some recent topic titles on his other blog, Wyrick’s Writings are:ONE LOG ON A FIRE, TWO JOLLY GREEN GIANTS; LOVE AND FORGIVENESS, WISDOM IS.WHAT IS HAPPY,60 PLUS AND NOT HOLDING
 
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING URL
 
 
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A  Quote FROM Rev. Wyrick’s 9TH BOOK “THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN”

With little knowledge of sanitation, no corner drugstore with remedies for infection, pre-natal care non-existent and even ill-prepared doctors scant, it is little wonder his boyhood was filled with superstitious sayings. 

Indeed, at any gathering, folk would more often than not share what they considered medical tidbits: steal a dishrag - kill a wart, skip a row when you plant and there’ll be a death in the family or if a horse breathes on your child it’ll get whooping cough. 

As late as 1859, if a doctor-to-be attended medical school at all, he had covered the entire store of existing medical lore in one year.  


Visit Magnus Press to order this book or some of their other unusual and inspiring books.
 
CLICK ON THE URL BELOW


DO YOU HAVE A SUBJECT YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE NEIL WRITE ON; EXAMPLES: COURAGE, LOVE, DETERMINATION, ETC.  JUST GO TO THE BOTTOM AND CLICK ON COMMENT AND SEND US YOUR IDEA.

To view his One Man Dramas on film (see by millions, live and on film and on video)(Martin Luther, Ben Franklin, Charles Wesley, Abraham Lincoln)
 
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING

********************************
 
To access info his other book’s and get some great used book prices, go to Amazon.com (books) and type in Neil Wyrick.

 BOUNDARIES UNLIMITED, RUST ON MY SOUL, POOR RICHARD’S ALMANAC, I AM SIXTY PLUS AND NOT HOLDING, THE ABC’S OF PARENTING AND GRANDPARENTING, LETTERS TO AMERICA
         
V. Neil Wyrick’s ninth book THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN and is available at MAGNUS PRESS. (For some unusual books visit their Web Site)

THIS BOOK IS AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.COM’S Kindle

To visit their Web Page click on the URL below

No comments:

Post a Comment